Your Baby Was Born to Learn!
Find out More!
Parent Support and Education
Parenting is the most difficult-and the most important- job there is. All parents deserve support and information on their developing child. Parents as Teachers (PAT) can provide that support to you.
What is Parents as Teachers?
Parents as Teachers (PAT) is a fun, free, early-childhood education and family support program that is available to all parents or expecting parents with children ages birth to three who live in the Rock Creek district. The goal of PAT is to support parents in their role as their child's first and most important teacher.
Why enroll in Parents as Teachers?
In the first few years of life, children learn more and at a faster rate than any other time in their life. In PAT, you are supported by certified parent educators who provide timely information on child development. The program involves you in parent-child activities as well as strengthening your relationship with your child.
What do you get when you participate in PAT?
- Personal visits: On your personal visits, we'll look at YOUR child's development and talk about the parenting challenges you face right now. We'll think about family dynamics impacting your child's development, your parenting values and decisions. We'll build strong protective factors to keep you, your child and your family healthy, strong and resilient.
- Developmental screening: We'll provide free, in-home developmental screenings (ASQ and ASQSE), OAE hearing screenings, vision and health checklists on at least a yearly basis to evaluate your child's overall development and provide early detection of potential concerns and help to prevent later difficulties in school.
- Resource network: We will help you access community services that are beyond the scope of the PAT program including speech and language services, libraries, help for families with special needs, etc.
- Playgroups and Parent Connections: We offer playgroups, group parent connections that allow you and your child to meet with other parents and children to share experiences, discuss parenting topics and gain new insights from outside professionals about a variety of topics.
- E-Mail Blasts and Parenting Resources: You'll receive regular E-Mail blasts with activities to try, child development information, playgroup times, recall news and more. We also have a parenting resource library where you can check out books, audiotapes, CD's and videos on a variety of topics
What parents say about PAT...
"Understanding how my child develops takes a lot of stress out of parenting and helps me enjoy my child even more."
"I have found the PAT program to be a valuable resource. Children don't come with 'how-to' guides, so the knowledge I've gained from PAT has been most helpful in raising my son."
"I recommend it to everyone!"
Do you want to know more or would you like to enroll?
Contact Dena Schmitz, PAT program coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Rock Creek district office at 785-457-3732 for more information.